Hello! My name is Chris Williams, and I am excited to be a part of Heartland Therapy Connection here in Brookside. Here’s just a few things to know about me as a therapist and as a person.
- It is my passion to help people. First off, I truly love listening to people share about their lives and helping them in places where they may feel stuck. I use a lot of metaphors in my therapy sessions, and one that I often mention to clients is that of putting together a puzzle. When people come to see me, they often have many different pieces of their lives that they are dealing with, fragments that they aren’t sure what to do with or how to fit into their lives. My job as a therapist is to act like the picture on the puzzle box, to give my clients the tools they need to fit these puzzle pieces together. Almost nothing is more fulfilling than seeing a client start to piece things together and remark how it helps them understand their life more clearly.
- I am a former elementary teacher. Before becoming a therapist, I was an elementary teacher for 15 years. While teaching, I saw a unique need for therapists who were willing to work with children and teens. I had always enjoyed talking to my students about issues such as their emotions and their sense of self, so moving into a therapy role with youth seemed like a perfect fit. While working on my counseling degree, I also learned that I truly enjoy working with teens. I love the perspective and honesty that youth bring to the table, and it is truly a joy to be able to take part in their lives as a counselor. I also enjoy working with families, knowing that it often takes the support of the family structure to help facilitate growth in children and teens.
- I am a member of the LGBTQIA+ community. As a gay man myself, I understand the unique challenges that come from being a part of the LGBTQIA+ community here in the Midwest. It is difficult to be accepting of yourself when there is still open hostility towards the LGBTQIA+ community. I love working with people to discover their true identity and work free of any shame or guilt that they have experienced while growing up. In particular, I have a keen interest in working with gay people who have struggled with their identity due to a lack of acceptance from their families. This barrier to self-acceptance can be a difficult one, but it is one I know can be overcome!
- My core values are HONESTY and AUTHENTICITY. As a therapist, I believe that we each have a set of values that guide us when making choices. One of the keys to growth is discovering these values and then making the choice to live them out more and more each day. My two key core values are honesty and authenticity. I strive to be genuine in my interactions with others, and I will bring that into the sessions with my clients. I strive to see my clients for who they truly are, beyond the struggles and difficulties they are bringing into the office. It is my hope that I can help them see themselves as they truly are and live out of their reality.
- I am a Disney fanatic! Truthfully, I love just about any animated movie, but Disney has had my heart since I was a child. I love Disney songs and it’s not uncommon to have some Disney tunes rambling through my head at any given time. While it’s hard to choose favorites, I’d have to say that Belle is my favorite Disney Princess, Ursula is my favorite villain, and probably “Moana” is my favorite Disney movie (though “Beauty and the Beast” is a VERY close second).
Thank you for taking the time to learn more about me! I would love the chance to meet with you and help you with you or your child’s personal growth. Give us a call today!